Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Verse of the Day - Proverbs 24:3-4

By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures. ~ Proverbs 24:3-4 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday, I had a power outage at my house, right as I was beginning to watch a movie. Ugh! Okay, I thought, Now what? I sat there for a minute or two and then the power kicked back on. Whew! As I went to the kitchen and began to reset the coffee pot clock, BAM! Out again! Sheesh. So I sat back on the couch with the TV remote and just began to think. Can't cook dinner, can't watch TV, can't even surf the internet (I tried, but--DUH--my modem and router are powered, even if my laptop has a battery). I just sat there and realized that all my gadgets were useless in a flash. My home is so dependent on electricity, that without it, I'm a fish out of water.

We can have all the amenities in our homes that life has to offer, but without the energy to run them, it is a hollow showcase. So, too, is a home without wisdom, knowledge and understanding. These are the true building blocks for a home, not fancy furniture and decorative landscaping. Perhaps you know someone who owns a very posh home, yet their family is a mess, where arguments prevail and there is no peace, where kids are left to their own devices while parents pursue their own selfish interests, where money (and the accumulation thereof) is more important than relationships. Maybe you know someone, or maybe that someone is you.

The source of wisdom, knowledge and understanding is God. So if we come to realize that these are the things that build a solid home, then we need to go to God. He is the one that helps us realize that material possessions don't make a home. He is the one who helps us turn off that TV and go play outside with our kids. He is the one who helps us realize our need to turn our hearts toward Him in thanks for all that He provides for us, and to teach our kids to do the same. He is the one who teaches us to be generous with what we have, not hoarding our wealth, but helping those in need.

Work hard to gain the things that really build a strong and beautiful home. Wisdom, knowledge and understanding . . . better than any surround-sound home theater, gourmet kitchen or luxury backyard.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: