Friday, September 19, 2008

Verse of the Day - Psalm 150:6

Let everything that breathes sing praises to the Lord! Praise the Lord! ~ Psalm 150:6 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sitting here at home, sick with a cold yet unable to sleep since my chest is all congested, and so I turned on the news. Hmm....is there really ever anything good on the news? The big news today is the national financial downturn and the politicians who are scrambling to try to rescue the country from this crisis. It's sounding bleaker and bleaker by the day.

Yet the psalmist says, "Praise the Lord!"

It's easy to say, "Praise the Lord!", when things are going well. But it challenges our faith to look to God and be filled with praise for who He is, when life is falling apart. We can become consumed with worry and stress when circumstances are bleak....sickness, relational troubles, natural disasters, recession. Do you hear many people say, "God is so good!", when the diagnosis is cancer? Most likely, we take our eyes off of God and become overwhelmed with fear.

It has long bothered me that when God answers prayer the way we ask for, then we shout, "God is good!" But when the answer is 'no', or 'cancer', or 'financial loss', we don't hear alot of people saying, "God is good!" The point is that God is always good, no matter what comes our way. Do you believe that? Can you praise Him in the storm?

I was sure by now,God,
that You would have reached down and
wiped our tears away, stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen and it's still raining...

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper
through the rain, "I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God
who gives and takes away.

[Chorus:]
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm...
~ from Praise You in This Storm, by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms

No matter what you're going through, put feet to your faith and praise the Lord with all that is in you. He is worthy of the sacrifice of praise you offer to Him in the midst of your storms. Take your eyes off the wind and waves, and make Him your focus. And praise HIM!

Love,

No comments: