Sunday, September 14, 2008

Verse of the Day - Galatians 6:9

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. ~ Galatians 6:9 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This verse has special significance to me, but not as you might think.

Many years ago, I became very weary in the midst of a difficult marriage. And I remember the day that I said to someone, "I'm tired of being good." It seemed that being and doing good was getting me no where in my marriage. I was miserable and wishing for something to fill up my emotional holes.

That was a turning point for me, in a bad way. I began to make sinful choices to get my needs met, and it led me down a very destructive path. What I thought would make me feel better actually made me feel worse, and I reaped some very negative consequences, within me and without.

The verses prior to today's verse really set the stage and need to be heeded...

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.
~ Galations 6:7-8 (NIV)

I knew these verses and their truth, but I got weary. Weary of not seeing results of my "doing good". And in my weariness, I gave up and swallowed the lie that "pleasing the sinful nature" would serve me better than doing good. Bad choice, my friends, bad choice.

As believers in Jesus, we're called to walk by faith -- to follow His leading in godly living, sowing seeds of righteousness and holiness, regardless of whether we see the harvest, or not. And we need to understand and accept God's order in spiritual living -- what we sow, we reap. Period. You can lie to yourself and think you can sow sin and reap blessing, but God can't be mocked. You will reap what you sow. You don't plant weed seeds and end up with ripe tomatoes...you just get weeds.

If you are weary of doing good, please seek the Lord for your strength. Don't give up doing good and fall into the trap of sowing sin seeds to reap whatever harvest you're after. Realign yourself with the Lord and His purposes. And then trust God - He will provide a godly harvest in His perfect time.

Love,
Joelene

No comments: